Here are step by step instructions for using a track matte (also known as travel matte) video transition in Final Cut Pro.
1. Place your Video Clip A on video track 1.
2. Place the Matte on video track 2.
3. Place your Video Clip B on video track 3.
4. Right click the Matte then select Composite Mode>Normal.
5. Right click your Video Clip A then select Composite Mode>Travel Matte Alpha. *Note: If the Travel Matte Alpha setting does not work, select “Travel Matte-Luma” instead.
6. Repeat step 5 for your Video Clip B.
Here’s an example of what it should look like when it is all done:
Want some free stock footage like the footage in the examples? Click the link below to get your own free stock footage clip.