I’m going to make a confession here. I am addicted to The Food Network. Like, major addiction. When I’m able to pry myself away from the television and head to work, I often try to replicate some of the graphics and visual effects that they use to make their food look oh-so-sexy. That’s how I came across this quick Final Cut Pro trick for making a cut out effect with text. For you foodies out there, you’ll recognize this effect as the open from Food Network’s The Best Thing I Ever Ate. (For those of you who don’t spend hours on end watching food porn, click here to see what I’m talking about). There are tons of uses for this simple trick, so take a look at the steps below and add it to your repertoire.
1. Open Final Cut Pro and start a new project and sequence.
2. Create a new text layer by going to the Effects tab and clicking “Text”.
3. Once your text layer is created, drag it down to the first video track in your timeline.
4. Add the video you want displayed through the text to the second video track in your timeline. It should be directly on top of your text.
5. Right click the video layer. Choose “Composite Mode” and then “Travel Matte-Alpha”
6. That’s it! You should now see your video displaying through your text!
Play around with this effect and you can come up with some pretty fun ideas. To get the true Best Thing I Ever Ate look, chop up a bunch of video clips and string them together on video track two. This will give you that fast strobe effect.
If you want to follow along with this video editing tutorial, download the clip we used in the pictures and try it out step by step for yourself! Just click the button below to download your free stock footage clip.
[button link=”http://content.videoblocks.com/clip-download/?id=download-a-free-snowy-mountain-stock-footage-clip” color=”#2216a7″ size=”3″ style=”1″ dark=”0″ radius=”auto” target=”self”]Download Your Stock Footage Clip[/button]